Re: [Xen-users] Nasty kernel panic

Hi Steve,

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 21:29 -0500, Steven Timm wrote:

> Does it really matter what you have in /etc/modprobe.conf inside
> the domu's?

Not really. You only need modules for non-devices, unless your using PCI
passthrough to the guest.

For instance, iptables, ext3, jfs, etc, if these aren't statically
compiled into the kernel. In most cases these would be on an initrd
anyway.

Unless the netfront / blockfront drivers are not static in the kernel,
you shouldn't have to worry about anything else.

If you exported a PCI device, you'd need the module for that device.

> (note that the crash below is a crash of dom0).
> In one of the machines, my physical network is an e1000
> but i have bnx2 in modprobe.conf but neither module is actually loaded
> in the domu.

I'm really starting to suspect that e1000 is your issue. However, having
those other modules in the dom-u shouldn't really matter, the crash is
on dom-0.

> Here's ip6tables from one of the domu's
[snip]

That just shows that you have ipv6 iptables support .. shouldn't matter.
You could recompile a special kernel for dom-0 or dom-u's if your never
going to use ipv6 .. however just having support for it should not be
causing this problem.

Cheers,
--Tim

--