Re: [Xen-users] Dell 2950 III for Xen virtualization

To: "Fábio M. Catunda" <fcatunda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Nathan Eisenberg" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dell 2950 III for Xen virtualization
From: "Nick Jones" <nicholas-jones@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:07:36 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:08:15 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=3LnjnnXJMI/BJTj8OwEtOSxilJG4ENrCQ1+5N3ZpFcU=; b=huY+oXgVEjD1HdENeXr4sHF+FOMPNTE7AdhMySulJOgeKk+/EjMcWlyRC0uDDdSjCI 5D5HRj2wrY2JlGH9nIWhUcZRIkBvWZtm0wkog2XC/Ep2hLJJIx3PapMoSAnU/D40w2+a 4SJv9UD+qmEkbm3YwEcPeaV4VrEMunmxk0f0Q=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=h2m/urNEY/e1IxGr0icx1vAAesla3oRL33joudGUa1tFnXs/7hNgVNqDCW48hBeO9u htwJbuDze5ZemRp8bzeYddW+pDUgOIJuh3KLjN1RLANKtCAdCnvlD86fNI7NmAqspMie 2uPfRarWGs9DwPhnXXzWicLFDYd8lWIDf2g64=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Fabio,

I've been told that 1 GB per VM is a good rule of thumb.  It seems
that you are following this guideline.   I guess I'm interested in
first hand experience attempting to use xen as a sort of terminal
server.  Since the resources can be managed pretty effectively I don't
see a problem with this approach other than a need for lots of RAM and
a good number of CPU cores.

What I really need to know is what happens when I run 30 VM's under
this kind of setup.  Each VM will be XP and a typical web browsing
scenario in terms of compute resources, nothing else.  I guess I'd
like to know if 30 VM's is unreasonable, impossible, or not a problem
at all.

Hi Nathan,

As far as just using a terminal server, I would need Windows Terminal
Server to be able to run windows based applications (this is a
requirement).  The cost and complexity of licensing seems prohibitive
and not worth the reduced complexity of management, if such a thing
exists with terminal server compared to xen.  I'm sure that learning
curve aside, xen is pretty straightforward to manage once it's up an
running.  That said, to answer your question, no I have not really
looked into terminal server that much but I'm interested to hear about
the advantages over xen for my particular situation (cost is a big
consideration for us).

Thanks for the responses.

Nick