Re: [Xen-users] route or nat

To: "John Haxby" <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] route or nat
From: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:59:57 +0530
Cc: xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rmarfisi@xxxxxxxxx" <rmarfisi@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 03:30:32 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=6umJzvZ5cAHccMXiUN1zQJUXvgXd+bVwKnliAo40npw=; b=vgi5jbz8eoQutKKaEJJ87po4P7V4kyFUt4PRRvvlll9juY2ZtkW+N6RuYoMU6gL9ki bYlrNt+rq/TjpKCdOASHfdqkYkLm+1co2I0w8w/1RIwUpObWIF8sD3FHtmVCd4jFJ2BR yjHLyiN9M2mQP76emBNp48KiaoqhKVNDjVbQE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/13/08, John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> rmarfisi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> i don't understand the difference between route and nat
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=what+is+nat
>
> Briefly, routing is the process that decides where an IP packet should
> go to next.  NAT, on the other hand, re-writes the IP packet source or
> destination address.  "NAT" is short for "Network Address Translation"
> and is typically used to hide machines behind firewalls (source-NAT,
> SNAT) or redirect traffic to some other machine (destination-NAT, DNAT,
> sometimes called port-forward).

I think question is in context of route and nat configuration of
"/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp"

nat configruation basically add some iptable rules on dom0 to perform
the address translation on the packet generated from domU to keep domU
address as private network.

route configuration chnages the bridge (networking link between dom0
and domU) to act as router.

Following link could be useful to understand the route and nat configuration.
http://wiki.kartbuilding.net/index.php/Xen_Networking