Re: [Xen-users] one DomU, 2 IP =>why ? any ideas,

To: Denis Cardon <denis.cardon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] one DomU, 2 IP =>why ? any ideas,
From: Stéphane Cesbron <Stephane.Cesbron@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:45:58 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:46:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Denis,

I needed to switch one DomU from one IP to an other tonight.
I'm on centos 5.2 (Dom0 and DomU)
Therefore, I made a script using perl to make so. This script modify the IPADDR line in the following files :
- /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
- /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
- /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0

modifying "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" should be enough I guess...

I know but I wanted to maintain consistency of my system.
Then I reboot the VM and it worked just fine. The VM was still reachable using its old ip address. I thought that was because I do not to have rebooted the Dom0.
I put my IP back in the above files and rebooted the Dom0 and DomU.
Nevertheless, my DomU is still reachable from the 2 different IPs.

Any ideas/suggestions ?
I can't understand how it is possible. I tried to change the vif mac address but it is still the same.

Could you post the output of ifconfig? Are you sure your forme IP address was not bound to something else than eth0, like eth1 or eth2?

When deploying linux vm, one common mistake is that when you change the mac address, at boot up udev make a new rules and bind your new mac address on eth1 or eth2 and up (depending on the last time you cleaned up your /etc/udev/rules.d/xxx_net_xxx file. So eth0 is still bound to the old mac address which is not existing anymore.

I guess cleaning udev should be enough, otherwise could you please post your ifconfig output.

I'll try tomorrow when I 'll get back to work.
I tried the ifconfig command today and got only the IP address from the "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" which is running.
We'll see tomorrow afternoon I think as I'll be busy all the morning.
Cheers,

Denis

Regards,

--

Stéphane Cesbron
Responsable Régional Informatique,

63, quai Magellan
3ème étage - Hall B
B.P. 32116
44021 Nantes cedex 1

Email : stephane.cesbron@xxxxxxxxx
Tél : 02.40.20.92.28
Portable : 06.78.68.76.39
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes sont etablis a l'intention exclusive de
ses destinataires et peuvent etre confidentiels ou proteges. L'internet ne
permettant pas d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, l'INSERM decline toute
responsabilite au titre de ce message, dans l'hypothese ou il aurait ete
modifie. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute
diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf
autorisation expresse. Si vous recevez ce  message par erreur, merci de le
detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur. Merci.

The information transmitted is intended exclusively for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or other action  based upon the
prohibited. If you receive this information in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from any and all computers.