[Xen-users] Second Dom0-like DomU with graphics hardware access

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Second Dom0-like DomU with graphics hardware access
From: Paul Schulze <avlex@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:05:48 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:06:36 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:mime-version :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:content-type:to:subject:date :x-mailer:from:sender; bh=vWmqfzfKDdcwkeFyAihCSOF+6yOn67Yd6GKpmIcNTn0=; b=lUQGipH6Xnyk1tOcHYsrxWZUXn4uR8rOKsECoqJeIg/yOwK0TYk26bGlf5xKKy/qMY 6O5sIZJZH/eBlqbkm5Frl+evpLKjnb35oHO6IuRp5MTTYq2u9jWahNzUXRyOLYcOu5r4 SEEq8SRbMtCItyHuO9mY5yvDGjDLMOwAU28RY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey everyone,

First, I think I just more or less succeeded on passing my primary (and only) graphics card, an onboard ATI Radeon HD3200, through to a DomU. Or at least there is no error message stating otherwise, when I start the DomU and the device is shown when lspci is used. Before someone gets too excited, Xorg still complains about not finding the device and the output from booting the Xen kernel is still the only thing, displayed on the connected monitor.

Now the first question is, does anyone have an idea on how to prevent Xen from grabbing and writing its output to the VGA hardware, if it should already have a serial console to work with? I am assuming, that even if I have the kernel output to the serial console and have pciback hide the graphics card, Xen still hands the graphics card directly to the Dom0, if it shows its messages on one and the kernel grabs it, even if it isn't needed for output. This might cause Xorg in the DomU not to find the device. If this isn't the problem here, does anyone have any ideas on what is going wrong?

The second question is, does anyone know if it is possible to have PS2 devices (aka. keyboard and mouse) exclusively assigned to one DomU? I would really like to separate the VM, controlling Xen and my desktop VM for various reasons (f.e. to not have to restart every DomU along with the Dom0, if the desktop system receives an update, security and so on). Since I can use the serial console from another device to control Xen (or use SSH), I really don't need keyboard and mouse in the Dom0 and having PS2 support in the Desktop DomU would be just nice, especially since I'm a little short on USB input devices right now, so the USB controllers, I passed to the same DomU aren't much help.

And the third problem, I am facing at the moment, I still don't get the boot output or any login prompt on the connected monitor, probably because the TTYs are fake in a Xen DomU. Is there a way to have these connect to the real VGA adapter instead?

Thanks,

Paul.

P.S.: To round up the crazy stuff, if anyone knows a way to intercept signals from the power button in Dom0, Id like to know. Would be nice if I could start up and shutdown the Desktop DomU like that.

--
Paul Schulze
avlex@xxxxxxx

"Making mistakes is human,
but to really fuck things up you need Computers"