[Xen-users] HVM domU networking

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM domU networking
From: Markus Quaritsch <quam@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:58:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 00:59:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing some problems with the network connection of
a HVM domU. I'm using xen 3.0.3-1 on a debian etch box and have to use
the routing configuration (but bridging does not work either)

Booting the domU works fine, but I can not ping dom0 -> domU neither
domU -> dom0. Although the transmit counter is incremented in the domU,
no packets are received; the vif device in dom0 shows no
sent/received/dropped packets.

In the logs I found the following suspect messages:

/var/log/syslog
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): vif9.0: link is not ready

=> what exactly does this mean?

> $ ip link
> 35: vif9.0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
>     link/ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I think, the problem is this 'NO-CARRIER' flag for the vif device.

Any hints how to fix this problem?
btw: other, non-HVM domains work well.

best regards,
quam