Re: [Xen-users] RHEL5 & Xen 3.2.1; Not creating tap0 in dom0 for domU's

To: Xen-user List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RHEL5 & Xen 3.2.1; Not creating tap0 in dom0 for domU's [Operator Error! - FIXED!]
From: Daniel Kao <dkao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:49:44 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:50:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

Nevermind... My own fault-- and to update my issue.

#1. tap devices are usually NOT created for PV instances of domU's for Xen bridging.  It's usually a straight bridge between the vif and peth0 under the eth0 group in most instances.  tap devices typically show up for domU HVM's.  This was a red herring in comparing two Xen 3.2.1 servers.

... The *real* reason why domU's couldn't access the network...

#2. This RHEL5 server's eth0 was connected to a Cisco 2960 switch... which uses the "Desktop" macro for the Smartport/Switchport settings on the port eth0 was connected to.  This only allows a single learned MAC address on the port... which means since dom0 fires up first and uses the port first... it's the only MAC instance allowed on the port effectively blocking the domU's.  I blew away the port config, set the port up manually without any of the included macros, and reset the VLAN the server was on.  Voila!

In fact... RHEL5 dom0, CentOS5 domU and Xen's bridged networking... was actually working fine and not the cause of the issue.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel Kao wrote:
Hi All,

I have a weird issue I'm not sure how to solve.  I've got Xen 3.2.1 working under RHEL 5.2 x86_64 just fine.  I fired off a CentOS 5.2 PV install and everything went smoothly... except that when I fire up the PV, the tap0 for bridging isn't being created.  This results in the CentOS 5.2 domU's bridged eth0 only being able to ping the RHEL5 dom0's IP address... but nothing else on the same physical NIC/subnet.

Everything else is properly set in my dom0 in the sense that eth0, peth0 and vifX.0 are all there along with a "brctl show" which shows vifX.0 and peth0 bridged under eth0, but missing tap0 for the peth0/eth0.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!
--
Daniel Kao
Übermind, Inc.