[Xen-users] Creating a Bootable Image file

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Creating a Bootable Image file
From: "Gordon Carlyle" <Gordon.Carlyle@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:52:26 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:53:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Newbie Question:

We are using RHEL 5.2 with the 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5xen kernel. I am trying to follow instructions that I found to create an bootable image by doing the following:

I first created a 10 gig file and formatted the partition using the dd and mkfs.ext3 commands:

dd if=/dev/zero if=generic.img bs=1024k count=10000

mkfs.ext3  -t ext3 generic.img

From a working image that I shut down I then copied the directories into the file:

mount –o loop generic.img /mnt/generic

cp –ax /mnt/image1/{root,dev,var,etc,usr,bin,sbin,lib} /mnt/generic

mkdir /mnt/generic/{proc,sys,home,tmp}

I copied image1s config file and called it generic and then tried to start it up but I get a message that the virDomainCreate() failed POST operations failed: (xend.err Error creating domain:bootloader didn’t return any data!)

I am guessing that I have missed a few steps in the process.  Would someone please point them out?

Thanks.

Gord