Re: [Xen-users] Recompile Ubuntu Xen 2.6.24 Kernel

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Recompile Ubuntu Xen 2.6.24 Kernel
From: Jett <jett1014@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:23:29 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:25:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Tim for the very detailed answer. It's very useful!

I am trying to config the kernel. =)

Nice day,
Jett
On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 00:57 +0800, Jett wrote:

Hi all,

    I want to recompile the 2.6.24.19-xen kernelprovided by Ubuntu
hardy. I have install the linux-source linux-header deb but don't know
how to include the "xen patch" to the 2.6.24 source (I know 2.6.24
have Xen forward-ported) and compile the kernel. I am sorry this is
quite a newbie question.. Could anyone help me?

    Basically I want to compile a 2.6.24 Xen kernel with some
customized kernel settings.

Your going to need the 'debhelper' package. Once you have it, go to the
source tree and type:

debian/rules custom-prepare-xen

This will (very likely) prompt you to install more packages or suggest
commands to automagically install all dependencies needed to use the
Debian build system.

Once successful, you will find your source in
debian/build/custom-source-xen, which can be copied anywhere that you
like. That's your Xen patched kernel.

So you could cp -R debian/build/custom-source-xen /usr/src/linux-2.6-xen

Unless you plan on making new .debs , there is really no need to further
explore the rest of the stuff that you'll see in debian/.

The same method is used to generate builds for desktop / server /
openvz, rtlinux, etc.

HTH
--Tim

    Thanks!