[Xen-users] Problem with GPLPV drivers 0.9.11.pre8

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem with GPLPV drivers 0.9.11.pre8
From: Andy Burns <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:24:27 +0100
Cc: james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 06:25:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have another domU that previously had the 0.8 drivers, so removed all traces of them using the same registry hacking method as before, the domU then rebooted cleanly without /gplpv flag.

I installed the 0.9.11-pre8 drivers, first I installed just the certificate (to try to cut down the number of dialogs) then I installed the Win2K3 drivers (I saw the installer messages about not loading devices due to them being unplugged or whatever the phrasing is).

Then used bootcfg.exe to set my /gplpv entry to be my default in boot.ini and rebooted

At this point the machine still had yellow bangs for the Xen devices, and the QEMU devices were present, the new hardware wizard then detected the Xen devices and went through loading drivers, and wanted a reboot.

At this stage both the QEMU and Xen drivers were visible at once!

my "xvda hard disk" showed as "C:" and "E:"
my "xvdc cd iso" showed as "D: and "F:"

At the next boot the machine crashed after the grey GUI screen (actually I wasn't watching the console, instead of crashing, it may have been chkdisk repairing corrupt filesystem and then rebooting)

It booted again and I saw chkdsk referring to "E:" drive as clean,
the machine then gave a login dialog, I can logon to the console with the administrator username and password, but my session immediately logs off again (presumably due to lack of the expected C: drive, or perhaps the corruption was worse then chkdsk could fix properly?)

I'll have a go at rescuing the machine with DISKPART.EXE from a bartpe/winpe CD, but I think this (double mounting of the same disk) was an potential issue James was worried about before releasing 0.9.11?