[Xen-users] Two bridges on one host, can not communicate on the second,

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Two bridges on one host, can not communicate on the second, what did I miss?
From: "Anders Andersson" <pipatron@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:23:15 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:23:51 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=7+jQjIccBjxFGNLh53NNpuQdNIHTyT8OFypU6ky7pVE=; b=mAzNxMiWq+ORxveJAD7eJhk/QICFwT4Oa3LL4zQk641Sdw0b6VmpYYvCdXi9FJtERh jmZv3l8xxfk40cROFaxsoyxB3kKzCVBqYfRdt5ZK3vPQN9rO+ffa27dyY5Xced99622s SNb4yRK0HxDY3nDgHjssIStsE8uUOG21FaP98=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello! I'm trying to set up an "internal" bridge on a Xen host (xen
3.2, ubuntu server 8.04 as a host). I am trying to get domU A
communicate with domU B, with no success.

First I followed the instructions in the XenNetworking page on the
wiki to get another bridge with no physical interface connected. I
created a file called /etc/xen/scripts/network-custom:

#!/bin/sh
dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 bridge=dmz netdev=dummy0

After a reboot, this bridge comes up fine, and the output from "brctl
show" looks like the default bridge that the network-bridge script
creates. I have now a pdummy0 interface configured as well, belonging
to the bridge, but that is of course expected.

After this I create two guests: domU_A and domU_B. They are both on
the same network, 10.19.0.0/24, with IP number 10.19.0.2 and 10.19.0.3
respectively. They just have one virtual network interface each, and I
added "bridge=dmz" to them, so they will connect to the dmz bridge.

After I start up both guests, I can see from "brctl show" that their
vif1.0 and vif2.0 have been attached to the dmz bridge, and inside,
the network interface has been configured correctly if I look at them
using ifconfig.

Here is where I fail. They can not access each other through the
network, not with ping, nor with anything else.

Using netcat gives me some slightly helpful message:
domU_B:~# echo hello | nc 10.19.0.2 9999
(UNKNOWN) [10.19.0.2] 9999 (?) : No route to host

The output from "route" shows (sorry if the columns are not aligned correctly):
Destination   Gateway  Genmask        Flags  Metric  Ref   Use Iface
10.19.0.0      *             255.255.255.0  U        0         0         0  eth0

I don't have a default gateway, but well, there *is* no gateway, there
are just two clients.

The "ethtool -K eth0 tx off" trick doesn't make any difference.

What's sad here is that networking within the default xen bridge works
great, with exactly the same method of creating  and I have never had
any problems with that. As a matter of fact, keeping the exact same
config, but changing the bridge to the default bridge, makes it
possible to communicate between the guests. But now I would like to
add another bridge, as I would like to learn a little more about
networking.

Help! What did I miss? How can I find out where the problem is?

/ Anders