RE: [Xen-users] Windows 2003 and 2008

To: "'Steffen Heil'" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jeroen Torrekens'" <jeroen.torrekens@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows 2003 and 2008
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:55:24 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 05:56:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        I'm not a native to Linux and haven't really used it that much, but
I never had any luck with X forwarding.  Also, I believe SDL is resource
intensive.  I recommend you set up your HVM DomU to use VNC instead of SDL.
At that point, the vncserver in your Dom0 will function similar to the way
an IPvM functions and you will be able to access your server through there.
This obviously will require the vncserver to exist and be properly
configured (I use F8 with xen from F8 repos and this is all automatic, so I
can't help you with custom configuration for that).  It will also require
you to have the appropriate port open on the Dom0 network to the machine you
want to connect through vnc from.  I think you want to set the tablet
usbdevice up as well, because otherwise the mouse will be a pain.
Regardless, once you can get in through VNC, you can enable remote desktop,
then you can close vnc back up and connect directly to the domu that way.
However, you will still need to use vnc if you need to access the boot menu
because of the GPLPV drivers orto try to get at safe mode or something.
Hope this helps,
        Dustin