Re: [Xen-users] Unable to remove GPLPV drivers without breaking win2k3 d

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Unable to remove GPLPV drivers without breaking win2k3 domU - SUCCESS
From: Andy Burns <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:10:28 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:11:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 30/06/2008 19:52, James Pifer wrote:

DANG!
In my case I have 0.8.8 loaded, but I'm not even loading /gplpv. I
originally loaded it to get rid of the unknown PCI device, which it
did.

OK, I tried again and got it working with 0.9.10 instead of 0.9.11-pre4 (though the version might not be significant)

I was a bit more fussy about what registry settings I kept and removed this time, also I think I didn't wait at the "grey progress screen" for long enough last time, it sticks there for what feels like two or three minutes.

So to summarise what I did ...

1) ensure domU will boot without /GPLPV

2) reboot into recovery console from windows CD (or ISO)

3) disable all xen services/drivers *except* xenhide

4) boot into windows, without /GPLPV

5) If any "hardware detected" dialogs are raised, cancel them, do not allow any xen drivers/services to be re-installed.

6) Start regedit

Alter
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0\Control\ActiveService
from
"XenHide" to "ACPI"

Search the whole registry for "xen" and set permissions/remove keys/values

Don't remove anything under HKLM/HARDWARE/ACPI

Do remove all the UpperFilter/LowerFilter values

Beware of false matches such as "xenroll" "IVBSAXEntityResolver"

Check where currentcontrolset points to, so you know which controlset01/02 etc to ignore and which to process.

7) reboot without /GPLPV

8) If any "hardware detected" dialogs are raised, cancel them, do not allow any xen drivers/services to be re-installed.

9) Within C:\windows delete xen*.sys and cached DIFx copies in DRIVERSTORE folders

10 delete all oem*.?nf files which are related to gplpv

11) reboot without /GPLPV

at this point the machine should be "clean" of the old xen drivers, if you're using LVM you might like to snapshot it at this point.

I then installed the 0.9.10 drivers from the .exe and accepted all "unsigned driver" prompts, in device manager you should see the PV devices (with yellow bangs) as well as the QEMU devices

12) reboot *with* /GPLPV

Be patient at the grey screen ;-)

Hopefully your machine will boot and now the QEMU devices will have yellow bangs and the Xen PV devices will not!

I did a quick iometer test with 100% sequental 64Kb reads and got about 37MB/s a PV linux domU on the same hardware gets about twice that, I'll do some more perf testing soon.

Good luck.