Re: [Xen-users] can't a PV domU be installed from an ISO file?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] can't a PV domU be installed from an ISO file?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:19:51 +0100
Cc: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:20:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.1 on a CentOS5.1 server, running Xen 3.0
>
> I'm not sure if this is possible, but I could be doing something wrong.
> Using virt-install, I selet the ISO file as the installation source, and
> it boots up, but then I get prompted for an installation source, and
> choosing the CD Rom takes me through a loop asking for an installation
> source.
>
> Is it possible to install a Linux domU from an ISO image?

Not directly.  The PV install that RH-alike distributions use is based around
using a network package repository.  If you don't want to use a repository
mirror from the internet, you could probably set up your dom0 to export the
repository from the DVD / ISO over the network, then use that.  It's a bit
more complicated to set up than just using the ISO directly but it does at
least avoid external network traffic.

Another option would be to install the guest as HVM and then attempt to
convert it to PV, which is also doable.

Cheers,
Mark