Re: [Xen-users] unable to access Linux HVM via xm console - Couldnotread

To: "Rudi Ahlers" <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] unable to access Linux HVM via xm console - Couldnotreadtty from store: No such file or directory
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:00:45 -0600
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Itamar - IspBrasil <itamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:01:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I highly recommend the Xen graphical management tools - Google virt-manager and virtinstall - these tools help out a lot in trying to get domUs installed and are able for a lot of them to choose PV or HVM depending on whether a modified kernel is available or not.

-Nick

Nick Couchman wrote:
> Yes, HVM - a hardware virtual machine - is the way to run unmodified
> guest O/Ss on Xen.  If your O/S has a modified kernel available,
> though, you should use that.  CentOS 5.1 definitely has a PV
> (modified) kernel available, so is there some reason you want to run
> your CentOS 5.1 domU in an HVM (unmodified), or maybe you should
> switch over to the modified kernel for that domU?

> Nick Couchman wrote:
> > HVM = fully virtualized.  The question is, why are you using fully
> > virtualized domUs?  Why not paravirtualized (PV)?

> > Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:
> > > why you're using hvm ? its slow

> "phy:/dev/data/cPanel,hda,w","file:/data/storage/CentOS-5.1-x86_64-bin-1of7.iso,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r"

> > mmm, now that I think of it. I setup fully virtualized hosts, not HVM -
> > my bad.....
> >
> > --
> >

> ok, so I had the right words :)
>
> as far as I understand, HVM is the only way to get Windows, or rather
> unmodified OS',  installed onto Linux, right? Or is there another way? I
> setup Windows like this, and simply copied the Windows HMV
> (/etc/xen/windows2003) to a new one for Linux (/etc/xen/cPanel) and
> installed Linux onto it.
>
> Should I rather have used a non-virtualized (is this referred to as
> paravirtualized ?) installation? But would I then be able to install say
> Ubuntu onto CentOS as a PV? Doesn't Ubuntu use a different kernel than
> the Red Hat family (Red Hat, Fedora Core, CentOS)?
>
> --

No, no reason why I want to run CentOS unmodified. It was just easy to
setup :) I copied the one HVM config file to a new one and it was up. So
I guess I'll setup a new paravirtualized centos then :)

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.