Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 7.x and 8x as Xen Guest OS

To: "Joti Mail" <joti.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 7.x and 8x as Xen Guest OS
From: "a s p a s i a" <aspasia.sf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:00:21 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:00:53 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=CetmqIjIGu3by7dCR7J5kjPHwKmlNWsziO9QNcd4wUE=; b=oeUdA6MNFXUfg4CaH5KFyIrEDaEdrV+XSUh6Q000RMTxtCLhCv8JE7jIAFUD0GIV2P d7+35JaMCyXpSgZrMnQVdvaFpuB9MRI5LMGJqK/NapZ10NMDYbxmR6dtJVKrSYyE8jQs jFHz0zWabTGurnjMTaOZtxTNVu0IQLtOZDo78=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Joti,

I am actually trying that right now!!!  .. :)

I found this page from Ubuntu forum on upgrade paths:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes#head-4b642102f96e5f9788ca164311d65cd2caa5df44

So I am trying to upgrade 6.06 to 6.10 then to 7, etc. etc.

BTW - I tried again on all of them and looked carefully at the
blinking message prior to its hanging .. I think it does not include
the virtual hard drive driver ....

i'm guessing is it this it's looking for? (found this as device_model
paramater in the 606 ubuntu/xen config file stored in /etc/xen):

/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm

thanks I will post my results - if anyone has any further suggestions,
I would greatly appreciate!!

best regards,

aspasia.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Joti Mail <joti.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> did you try to just to apt-install update-manager-core and
> do-release-upgrade -p ?
>
> I'm using this with xen-tools here as a standard procedure
> 1. create dapper (6.06) domU
> 2. update everything, install update-manager-core
> 3. upgrade the thing.
>
> Remember:
>
> - The standard Kernel of Ubuntu 8.04 is terribly broken when used with Xen.
> (and STILL not fixed although known & fixed by someone else for VERY long
> time).
> - You can either use the Dom0 kernel or install the fixed kernel
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/218126
>
> Hope to have helped.
>
> --Joti
>
> a s p a s i a schrieb:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a Xen kernel running on a CentOS 5.1:
>>  xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> The Xen versions I have are:
>>
>> rpm -qa | grep xen
>> kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5
>> xen-libs-3.0.3-41.el5_1.6
>> xen-3.0.3-41.el5_1.6
>> xen-devel-3.0.3-41.el5_1.6
>>
>> So far I have a few Guest DOMU's installed successfully - various
>> CentOS flavors ...
>>
>> 1.  I am able to successfully install Ubuntu 6.06 as a Xen guest
>>
>> 2.  I try to add Ubuntus 7.04, 7.10, 8.x ... (all these for SW
>> compatibility testing) - but I am unable to boot AFTER the first
>> Ubuntu splash screen appears and I select Install from CD - then it
>> simply attempts to reboot, and I think it's unable to mount a hard
>> drive, not sure, but a quick flash and then the virt-manager window
>> just turns blank.
>>
>> I have tried to google, but unable to exactly pinpoint if any known
>> issues with these versions of Ubuntu as a Xen guest exists.
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> aspasia.

A S P A S I A