[Xen-users] Windows Disk performance

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Windows Disk performance
From: Ruslan Sivak <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:24:57 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:25:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been getting disappointing results on IO reads when using windows guests. I'm getting usually around 70MB/s reads using hdtune. When installing James' PV drivers, the speed drops to about 20MB/s. The host system is getting around 350MB/s reads. I'm wondering if there is such a significant slowdown, or if my tests are somehow flawed. The 70MB/s persisted throughout my VM testing, whether I was using Xen, XenSource or VMWare Server.
So my questions are:

a. Is there a bottleneck somewhere which basically caps the windows disk performance? b. Is my testing methodology flawed. Is there a better windows tool that will measure performance? What about Linux tool? I'm currently using hdparm -t

Russ