RE: [Xen-users] Re: FW: Xen Backups

To: <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: FW: Xen Backups
From: "James Alspach" <jalspach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:22:04 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:23:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you so much for your help.
I think the first option would be the best bet for us.
Since I can not guarantee that there would not be any file changes
during the backup period, I would probably stop (or pause...I will have
to look into that option) the guests and work from there. We are running
production systems on the VM's but, we are not a 24 hour shop. For
disaster preparedness, I could probably schedule some downtime after
hours, every so often to take snapshots.

To make sure I understand, when you take a snapshot, it is the VM as it
looks now.  If the world went sideways, I could bring up a new SAN and a
new server, import the snapshot and be back up and running?

The more I look at this option, I see that it is a great disaster backup
but would not replace 'normal' backups.  We would still do 'normal'
disk-to-disk-to-tape backups to restore individual files.  The snapshots
would be for use in cases where we had to bring the entire VM back
online.

I am also looking into some networking issues.  Since we are just
getting started, those will be my priority however, once we are up and
running, I will revisit backups in more detail and will probably have
more questions at that time.

Thank you again for your help.

James Alspach
Systems Analyst II
Shasta County Office of Education

Windows
> > guest?
>
> I'm not sure, as my server doesn't have HVM support.
> For a MS Windows guest, I would probably do either of the following 2:
> 1a) Stop the guest
> 1b) Create snapshots
> 1c) start the guest
> 1d) Create backups
> 1e) Remove snapshots
>
> or
>
> 2a) pause(suspend) the guest (is this possible with HVM?)
> 2b) create snapshots
> 2c) copy the pause-file
> 2d) resume the guest
> 2e) create backups (Ensure to keep the pause-file with it)
> 2f) remove snapshots
>
> > I can see connecting to a windows server and then stopping some of
the
> > services but I am not sure how to mount or unmount a file system in
> > windows.
>
> You don't need to actually mount/unmount filesystems as long as you
can
> ensure there will be no changes made to the filesystem during snapshot
> creation.
>
> > Also, forgive my ignorance but, if you had a problem could you just
> > reinstall the snapshot and restart it?
>
> What do you mean with reinstalling the snapshot?
> If the backup-process fails at any stage, I can resolve it simply by
> rebooting the virtual machine. The backups themselves are the actual
> filesystems, eg. I can restore this and my system is back.
>
> > Is your script available somewhere or would you mind sharing it?
>
> The script is not yet available somewhere as it's heavily dependent on
my
> installation and is not yet fit for distribution.
>
> I am planning on documenting it properly this week and will be happy
> make it available.
>
> > PS How about SAN based snapshots (on equipment other than the
Netstor)?