Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP Pro SP1 installs, but no GUI/Display after a

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP Pro SP1 installs, but no GUI/Display after a reboot
From: "Brian Schonecker" <Brian.Schonecker@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:03:15 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:04:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When I do an 'xm top' I do see the Windows XP vm running.  I've also tried "xm
console windowsxp' with no luck.

I _do_ see that XP is getting an IP address from my DHCP server so I know that
the VM is running, but I just don't have a display/GUI.

In addition, I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 and the same thing happened:  no GUI.
However I _was_ able to 'xm console sles10' and get to a login prompt.
'runlevel' at the console indicated that SuSE 10 thought it was in runlevel 5.
'init 3' then 'init 5' didn't bring up a GUI.

I must be missing something basic here.  I'm using VNC to administer the dom0
so I'm not physically at the VGA console.  Could this be the problem?  I have
an HP server at home that I play with and I don't have any issues whatsoever.
However, I am at the physical console.

Does the XP VM need to be accessed via a VNC session or something similar?
Remote desktop isn't (yet) running on the VM so I can't get to it there, either.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Brian

I've gotten the intall to work just fine.  I get to the point where it asks me
for network information, date, time, etc. but then after a few seconds the
screen goes blank and the XP gui disappears.

I've done a 'xm reboot windowsxp-1' and I can see the XP installation reboot
and also acquire an IP address via DHCP but still no gui.  'xm top' shows that
XP is running.

What am I missing here?  I thought that the XP gui would be display from my X
console?