Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.2.1 + intel quad core + 8gigs of ram + linux

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.2.1 + intel quad core + 8gigs of ram + linux
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 09:31:13 +0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:31:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jimmy Brake wrote:
Nick,

After I sent out this email I had second thoughts. Basically what I would like to know is if I can install a fresh OS then install xen from pre-compiled packages that will work on my hardware.

Yes.
I'm using 2xIntel X5355, 10G mem, RHEL5.2 x86_64. Centos5.2 should work as well.
You can install xen either by :
- selecting virtualization package group during installation, or
- "yum groupinstall Virtualization", if you want to install it later.

With this approach you'll get Redhat's version of Xen 3.1.2, which should work great if you're using linux PV guests. It has the added benefit of redhat-supported and greatly simplifies OS update process.

I don't mind compiling and configuring but its my second option.
If you want to use xen 3.2.1 with RHEL5, you can use xen.org's RPM (or recompile their SRPM, if you use x86_64). This way you can get latest version of xen as well as support for additional PV guests (opensolaris comes to mind). Note that using this approach means you need to edit grub.conf manually during xen installation and kernel upgrades.

Regards,

Fajar