Re: [Xen-users] xm shutdown of HVM DomU kills it instantly

On June 2, 2008 08:53 am Henok Mikre wrote:
> virsh shutdown <domain id> does graceful shutdown. The problem is that
> xend remembers the domain id. I want to be able to use the same domain
> id for the same virtual machine. I tried to flush the domain id memory
> by doing a "service xend restart" but it still would resort to
> incrementing the domain id number even though the previous domain id
> had been shutdown.

I don't think that's possible, as the domain ID is incremented everytime a
VM is created, for the life of xend (or possibly the life of the
hypervisor).  This was something that was really annoying, as there was
no way (that we found while testing) to lock a VM to a particular domain
ID.  That, along with the broken (not working)
auto-set-vnc-port-to-domain-id in Xen 3.1+, made using the domain ID for
anything quite useless.

The only time I ever saw the domain ID reset to 1 was when the server was
rebooted.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx