Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.0 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.0 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 22:41:59 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 May 2008 19:42:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday May 18 2008 03:26:26 am James Harper wrote:
> I've just put up the latest release of the GPLPV drivers for Windows.

Yet another interesting problem. Neither the uninstall for 0.8.9 or the
uninstall_0.8.x from 0.9.0 completely remove the devices no longer used by
0.9.0, uninstalling being done having booted w/o /gplpv. Rebooting w/ /gplpv
leaves only the xenstub devices.

The problem begins when I notice that, while mouse input works, keyboard input
is totally non-existent. I suppose I can limp along in IE by double-clicking
on form fields to bring up previous entries, and with the aid of saved
passwords. However, cmd.com is totally useless, and thus no benchmarking or
command line configuration.

The real problem comes when I try to reboot from w/ /gplpv to w/o /gplpv - I
get a BSOD:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
[...]
*** STOP: 0x0000009F (0x00000500,0x00000002,0x82592730,0x825C7E50)

(no driver name mentioned)

But then when I destroy and try to recreate the domu, 'xm' complains:

Error: Not enough memory is available, and dom0 cannot be shrunk any further

nor does 'xm mem-set' do anything - ballooning is totally non-functional, and
I have to reboot dom0.

Rebooting dom0, creating domu w/o /gplpv, and uninstalling xenstub in Device
Manager doesn't change the symptoms. First killing the controlling qemu-dm,
then doing an xm destroy seems to avoid the xm problems. The keyboard is
functional when booting w/o /gplpv. Booting w/o /gplpv, and then rebooting
works.

Oh, and - I'm sure you haven't worked on this - but to repeat, I still can't
read a cd/dvd in an attached drive.