Re: [Xen-users] Fwd: Dinamically allocated memory in a virtual machine

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Fwd: Dinamically allocated memory in a virtual machine
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 01:57:47 +0100
Cc: Miguel Madrid Villar <madrivi@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 May 2008 08:13:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Madrivi,

> Hello, i have been looking for some info about how to expand dinamically
> the memory of my virtual machines, can someone give me a tip please?

Sure.

>  I have basic skills with the xen world, just now  iam only able to create
> virtual machines from a template, manage them a little with xen tools, and
> i don't know how to manage dinamically this settings, memory, disk space of
> the virtual machine etc, when the machines are running.
>
> Is even possible, or can't be done?

The "xm mem-set" command can be used to resize the memory a domain is using.
You can use it to shrink the domain's memory or to grow it again.

The "xm mem-max" command is used to set the maximum memory a domain is allowed
to have.

Note that ordinarily XenLinux does not support being grown beyond its initial
a location of RAM.  If you want to be able to do this, you need to add
something like mem=4G (for a maximum of 4G) to the domain's kernel command
line in order to tell it how big it might get.  This is so the guest Linux
can size its tables to fit the amount of memory.

The above refers to paravirtualised (PV) domains.  If you install a PV driver
kit you should be able to resize the memory of a fully virtualised (HVM)
domain but I don't think it can grow beyond its initial size.

Cheers,
Mark