Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.9 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.9 of GPL PV drivers for Windows
From: Florian Manschwetus <florianmanschwetus@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:23:00 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 03:18:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Harper schrieb:
Here's the latest version. Took me ages to get to the bottom of what
turned out to be a pretty simple problem - windows can give us more
pages in a packet than Linux can handle but Linux (netback) doesn't
complain about it, it just creates corrupt packets :(

Download from http://www.meadowcourt.org/WindowsXenPV-0.8.9.zip
Sounds, nice, when i get the time these days, I'll sign this stuff to make it acceptable for my 64Bit 2008. Then lets have a look.

Florian

I'll probably do another release very shortly, mainly to reduce memory
consumption on the tx side so that more interfaces can run at once.

>From the testing I've done, on a UP windows DomU, with iperf options '-l
1M -w 1M', with the iperf server running in Dom0, I get TX throughput of
about 1.5Gbits/second and RX throughput of about 0.5Gbits/second. When I
tried it under SMP it worked, but the performance was horrible. Probably
best if you don't run it under SMP for the moment :)

I did have a test performance of 2.5Gbits/second, but now that I have to
copy the windows buffers into my own buffers to reduce page usage, I
seem to only be able to get about 1.5Gbits/second out of it... This kind
of makes sense given that DomU to Dom0 network performance is going to
be CPU and Memory bandwidth bound.

James