Re: [Xen-users] Need mega basic Xen help (jailtime.org thread)

To: "Rob Greene" <robgreene@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Need mega basic Xen help (jailtime.org thread)
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:52:20 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:52:50 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=hRzwQoaOmFEooMXkMOb63hz3Gl5fgPUW2MhzfIak4aA=; b=shbwwGpto7tlwU1xysIDhFTKsOJIB7z0mbURqg+VTvnxhNn7wHB05p5uQxmHTd2kb4lLi5sBw1pE+U8dyobaUcpwdQD8oSWf3tauAdfweCKwgRXhYCImi4auNXdYnS58pCEPsyQq2wBZUgvOO00SI7dtTzJQir47cp9b0KJyAUw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Rob Greene <robgreene@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Rob.
> >
> > I'm a confused newbie too but I think I can help with this one...
>
> Glad to have some company!  :-)
>
> > This all looks fine to me, but there's no 'ramdisk' line, and I bet the
> > el5 kernel stores its block drivers in its ramdisk (or not; see below).
> > Alongside wherever you got your kernel, there should be a file named
> > something like "initrd-[same exact version string].img".  Copy it into
> > the same area where you're storing your Xen kernel, and add
> >

> That's what I find funny.  The VM images I create do not require an external
> kernal/initrd (except for installation).  Why would these images (from
> jailtime.org) that are built to be used by Xen require them?  I should just
> be able to use pygrub and go from there...

I agree the the jailtime.org images would be nice as ready to be used
with pygrub, but that would required putting a working, compatible
kernel within the image. This is possible, but sometimes tricky. You
should contact the jailtime.org admin, he is usually pretty good about
trying to add images and features.

There is at least one alternative that I am familiar with, rpath.com
has quite a few prebuilt images, some of which are designed to work
with pygrub out of the box. We covered how to do this in our book, but
(if you can't or don't want to buy the book) we have also provided a
fair number of resources on our website for the book as well.

For some ideas and other places to get prebuilt images See:
http://runningxen.com/chapters/chapter5/

Cheers,
Todd