Re: [Xen-users] I finally got a virtual os up, now a few questions...

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] I finally got a virtual os up, now a few questions...
From: trist007 <drakoth777@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:40:53 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 16:41:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The output of ifconfig -a in my DomU

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:3E:34:32:0D
inet addr:192.168.122.59 Bcast:192.168.122.255Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::216:3eff:fe34:320d/64 Scope:Link
UP BRAODCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
Rx packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
tX packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1091 (1.0 KiB) TX bytes:4894 (4.7 KiB)
Interrupt:17

lo  Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:host
   UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
   collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
   RX bytes:2525572 (2.4 MiB) TX bytes:2525572 (2.4 MiB)

here's my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

# Realtk Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:16:3E:34:32:0D
ONBOOT=yes

as for the domU config file I tried looking in /etc/xen/ for drakoth, which
is the name of my domU, in my dom0 computer but there was nothing there,
should I create one?  Also, I'm trying to learn all this network stuff, so
if you could please explain your instructions and try to teach me while your
writing your reply, that is if you have time, but I'm dying to learn.  Like
in the output of ifconfig-a  i know that eth0 is my ethernet card, what is
lo?  Also, when I boot up dom0 there's a message that says my MAC address is
different than expected.  Alright, there you go.

Sounds like some networking issues.  In my network environment I have
multiple VLANs going to my XEN servers and I've found it useful to set up
the bridges for networking (e.g. xenbr0) on my own in Linux and not let Xen
do the bridge setup.  I create
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xenbr<vlan> (where VLAN is one of the
numeric VLAN IDs I have) and configure the bridges that way.  Then I make
sure that my Xen domU config file specifies the bridge that I want to use
for that particular domU.

It sounds like your domU (or HVM) isn't able to pick up an IP address for
the network interface - assuming you have a network interface configured.
This would allow you to get the initial part of the install running, right
up to loading of stage2.img, because all of this is included with the initrd
stuff.  Stage2.img, however, must be loaded from a mirror.  Since you were
able to load the O/S from a DVD and you're now having trouble connecting to
the Internet, you're likely not getting a connection at all.  Some useful
information to help you here would be: 1) your domU config file, 2) the
output of "ifconfig -a" in your domU, and 3) the configuration you've
specified for your network interface in domU (e.g.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0).

-Nick