Re: [Xen-users] Building Xen 3.2 from source

Here is my post from a few weeks ago. Are you building a Dom0/DomU or a
super Xen kernel that can do either? My instructions are you build 2
separate kernels but you could easily build just one. The .config for each
should be in the "build-linux-2.6.18-xen0_x86_32" and
"build-linux-2.6.18-xenU_x86_32", respectively.

Hi Bernie, a fellow Austin-ite. :)

I'll assume you want to build under Xen 3.2. Here are the steps that I
have been writing up from my own documentation. I'm running my Dom0 on
CentOS 4.4 ( moving to 5.1 soon).

1. Make sure the following is installed:
binutils
zlib-devel
python-devel
ncurses
ncurses-devel
openssl-devel
xorg-x11-devel
bridge-utils
iproute
hotplug
udev
curl
curl-devel
mercurial 0.9.5 or better

2. Download Xen 3.2 tar ball from
http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.2.0/xen-3.2.0.tar.gz

3. tar -zxf xen-3.2.0.tar.gz

4. cd xen-3.2.0/

5. Since the official Xen kernel is now in Mercurial instead of just
patches to a vanilla kernel you need to setup your PYTHONPATH to point to
the mercurial Python library. It should look something like:
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.3:/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages

6. Pull the 2.6.18 kernel from Mercurial:
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg

7. In my configuration I build a Dom0 kernel and a DomU kernel. The Dom0
will have all the xen backend drivers and hardware drivers for my system
and the DomU will not. Here is how you would create two kernels...
(xen0=Dom0, xenU=DomU)

make linux-2.6-xen0-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
make linux-2.6-xen0-build
make linux-2.6-xen0-install

make linux-2.6-xenU-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
make linux-2.6-xenU-build
make linux-2.6-xenU-install

That should install the kernels and I believe (I'm not past this point
becuase of lack of hardware to run it on) it should install it in grub as
well. Let me know how this works for you.

Ryan