[Xen-users] Dom0 Crashes on High I/O

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dom0 Crashes on High I/O
From: Henri Cook <henri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:44:30 +0100
Cc: Chuck Short <zulcss@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 06:45:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all, I have a problem that's very similar to this one - which doesn't
appear to have ever been resolved:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-03/msg00112.html

My dom0 will crash when I try to transfer large amounts of files in
(e.g. an rsync network backup), when I try to install Windows over HVM
(at the beginning of the installer when 'installation files are being
put into folders') and seemingly 'randomly' throughout the day -
although presumably this could be an instance of high I/O on a DomU that
I would not be aware of.

There are no errors, anywhere that I can see - i've checked
kern.log/syslog/messages/dmesg/xend.log/xend-debug.log

Please; can anyone shed some light on this? At the moment I can lose the
machine up to five times a day and obviously can't install windows or
anything!

System is running on Ubuntu Hardy, 2.6.24-14 - in case this is a bug
with their kernel port i've made a bug on launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xen-3.2/+bug/211751

Has anyone had this before? How did you solve it?

Swapping also causes a crash as observed in the initially referenced
post, but that's probably because it's a high i/o operation. Turning my
system's ability to swap off has helped the problem a little bit
(eliminating that point of failure at least)

Thanks,

Henri