Re: [Xen-users] Error moving DomU image to LVM

To: "Johnson, Tony M" <Tony.Johnson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error moving DomU image to LVM
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:21:18 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 01:21:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Di, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:54:07 -0400, Johnson, Tony M wrote:
> In creating LVMs during the Fedora install. I created the following
> layout;
>
> /dev/sdb
>    /dev/sdb1     /boot
>    /dev/sdb2     VolGroup01
>    /dev/sdb3     VolGroup02
>
> VolGroup00
>   LogVol01       swap
>   LogVol00       /
>
> VolGroup01
>   LogVol00      /guest1
>   LogVol01      /guest2
>
> I then used virt-install to create HVMs. However I created them using a
> file system: '/xen/file.img'.
> Later I used the dd command to copy the image as follows: dd
> if=/xen/file.img of=/dev/VolGroup01/guest1
>
> I added the following to the config: disk =
> ['phy:VolGroup/guest1,xvda1,w'] and get the following error: Error:
> Device 770 (vbd) could not be connected. Device /dev/VolGroup01/guest1
> is mounted in the privileged domain, and so cannot be mounted by a
> guest.
> After rebooting I get this error: fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in
> super-block while trying to open /dev/VolGroup01/guest1

Do file /xen/file.img contains only one partition or all the system
(with MBR and so on)?

If /xen/file.img contains MBR (and one or more partitions),
you sholed specify
['phy:VolGroup/guest1,xvda,w']
instead of
['phy:VolGroup/guest1,xvda1,w']

If it works, you can split partitions (insidde /xen/file.img)
to several volumes, in a way described here [1], [2].

[1]
http://bitsandchaos.wordpress.com/2007/12/08/how-to-manipulate-the-files-stored-inside-a-xen-virtual-machine/
[2]
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=/eica7/eica7_creating_custom_image_xen_manually.htm

> Can I recover from the above if so how? What is the correct procedure to
> convert the image to the LVM?

dd is ok

> Help is greatly appreciated!

WBR, i.m.chubin