Re: [Xen-users] Can someone please build a Xen 3.2 rpm for CentOS 5.1 x6

To: burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can someone please build a Xen 3.2 rpm for CentOS 5.1 x64?
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:17:15 +0200
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:17:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ryan Burke wrote:
Tom Brown wrote:
I'm looking for the rpm's for Xen 3.2 x64 to use on CentOS 5.1.
Unfortunately I have had no joy in trying to rebuild the src rpm. If
anyone has done it before, please let me know

what is the error you are seeing - the link below is great and
outlines exactly how to build this from the src rpm

http://www.nabble.com/Xen-3.2---CentOS-td15662499.html

HI Tom.

I clearly don't have the experience to properly do this, and currently
my test machine has a lot of extra software installed which I don't even
know if I need it / want it. The server will run cPanel, so I need to
have an absolute bare bones system.

Needless to say, I don't know what exactly to give you. The snippets of
forum / mailing lists posts I have read so far have given me some stuff
to work with, but nothing concrete and step-by-step. I also don't have
the bandwidth to download every suggested package and try it out just to
see it's not working. Nor do I have endless hours at hand to learn all
of this. I'm not a developer / programmer, so I don't even know how to
debug the stuff I do. Having run rpmbuild --rebuild --target x86_64
xen-3.2.0-0xs.centos5.src.rpm* -* I don't know where what is, and I
don't see a modified rpm. I know enough about rpm files and how to use
them, but not how to make them.

I basically need an easy way to deploy XEN server, without having to
compile tarball files, and without having to rebuild a src.rpm on every
machine. So, a pre-build rpm would be nice, then I can just include it
on the installation CD and install when needed

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other
technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting
stuff

Have you looked into the "make dist" option when compiling from hte Xen
3.2 tarball? It basically pacakges everything into the "dist" directory in
the xen-3.2.0 directory. If comes with its own install script so basically
you compile/build it once, then tar it up and scp it to the other
machines. On the other machines untar it cd dist/ and run install.sh. tHen
you'll need to edit your grub.conf to boot to the new kernel. It is a
pretty easy way of doing it if you have identical hardware architectues
(32 bit or 64 bit), if not then you'd need to build it for each different
hardware architecture. Of course you'll want to build the specific driver
modules for all your systems as well. Either way it is fairly easy without
having to build it on every system.

Ryan

The
are 32bit, so I didn't look into it. I also haven't compiled a tarball since Slackware 4.1, so I don't know how well it will work on a CentOS / rpm based system.

I would prefer to work with rpm's, since it's going to be part of an anaconda / kickstat bases automated installation CD, to be used at sites without internet, and only 1 or 2 servers, so I can't even put it on another machine at that site. Basically I'd love to automate this, and I know a working rpm will work well for me. I can install other rpm's this way already, so I'd prefer to stick with something that I know