Re: [Xen-users] Adding Xen architecture (kernel compiling)

To: "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Adding Xen architecture (kernel compiling)
From: "Ryan Burke" <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:11:30 -0500 (CDT)
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:12:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
> I want to use a new kernel (2.6.23) in a virtual Xen machine FedoraCore5
> (and I'm new in compiling kernels at all).
> In the /arch folder xen it's not present: should I add some lines in the
> .config in order to have it? (Actually I've not even found this file, I've
> just configs.c, should I modify this?)
> Can you tell me where I can find the documentation for compiling a new
> kernel in a xen virtual machine?
> Every suggestion would be appreciated.
> Bruno

I'll assume you want to build under Xen 3.2. Here are the steps that I
have been writing up from my own documentation. I'm running my Dom0 on
CentOS 4.4 ( moving to 5.1 soon).

1. Make sure the following is installed:
binutils
zlib-devel
python-devel
ncurses
ncurses-devel
openssl-devel
xorg-x11-devel
bridge-utils
iproute
hotplug
udev
curl
curl-devel
mercurial 0.9.5 or better

2. Download Xen 3.2 tar ball from
http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.2.0/xen-3.2.0.tar.gz

3. tar -zxf xen-3.2.0.tar.gz

4. cd xen-3.2.0/

5. Since the official Xen kernel is now in Mercurial instead of just
patches to a vanilla kernel you need to setup your PYTHONPATH to point to
the mercurial Python library. It should look something like:
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.3:/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages

6. Pull the 2.6.18 kernel from Mercurial:
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg

7. In my configuration I build a Dom0 kernel and a DomU kernel. The Dom0
will have all the xen backend drivers and hardware drivers for my system
and the DomU will not. Here is how you would create two kernels...
(xen0=Dom0, xenU=DomU)

make linux-2.6-xen0-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
make linux-2.6-xen0-build
make linux-2.6-xen0-install

make linux-2.6-xenU-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
make linux-2.6-xenU-build
make linux-2.6-xenU-install

That should install the kernels and I believe (I'm not past this point
becuase of lack of hardware to run it on) it should install it in grub as
well. Let me know how this works for you.

Ryan