Re: [Xen-users] Best practice to backup dom0 and all domU's

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Best practice to backup dom0 and all domU's
From: Andris <andris@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:10:18 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:10:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Smith wrote:

> The other issue is, just snapshotting a filesystem and taking a dump
> of it is not enough to get a reliable backup.  You need to consider
> the individual applications that are being run, and have ways to
> tell them to stop what they are doing while you take the snapshot.
> Think database servers for example.  If you can't or don't want to
> deal with that, fair enough, you probably do still get a best effort
> backup that saves you the majority of the time, but it's something
> to be aware of.

Database servers could be backed up via making snapshot.
There can be issues on hard loaded mysql servers for example (see this:
http://mike.kruckenberg.com/archives/2006/05/mysql_backups_u.html), but
for 99% of folks should be enough.
In such high volume enterprise production environments no doubts iSCSI
and similar should be used.

andris