Re: [Xen-users] error installing Xen guests on CentOS 5.1 x64 - could no

To: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] error installing Xen guests on CentOS 5.1 x64 - could not read tty from store
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:53:46 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:54:15 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sadique Puthen wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Hi all

I keep on getting this error when I try and install a Xen guest on a CentOS 5.1 x64 server with Xen installed from the repositories:

[root@gimbli ~]# virt-install sdl=0 vnc=0 nographic=0 -v --location=http://intranet/kickstart/cPanel/centos/5.1/32/os/i386/ --ram=256 --file-size=10 --file=/home/vm/vps07.img --name=vps07

Looking at "virt-install --help" parameters sdl=0, vnc=0 and nographic=0 seems incorrect.

You are not supposed to pass --location with -v. --location is only for paravirtualized guest installation where you are trying to install an HVM since you specified -v. What you need to specify is a boot cd for the hvm to boot.

--Sadique

< --snip-- >

Wow, this put me into motion :) I've only been using Xen for 2 days, and the only guest I could get installed is CentOS 5.1 with the instructions above.

So, how do I specify a boot CD? Let's say I have mounted my /tmp/windowsxp.iso on /mnt/windowsxp ? What is better to use, fully virtualized, or para-virtualized? I mainly want to host other OS's on the server, like 32bit Linux, Windows XP / 2003 Web / FreeBSD

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com