Re: [Xen-users] Xen on 32bit machine with 8GB of RAM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on 32bit machine with 8GB of RAM
From: "Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr." <douglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:54:21 -0300
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:55:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 28 February 2008 14:46:12 gorkhe wrote:
> I wanted to install Xen on 32bit processor with 8GB RAM. I am running
> Debian on it.
> The general Kernel can only address ~4GB of RAM. So, Is it necessary to
> install BigMEM kernel so that all the memory get addressed?  And then
> install xen kernel.
Yes the kernel has three steps of memory limit, ~900MB, 4GB and 64GB, the last
only with PAE on. You need to turn this mode on in the kernel on "Processors
Type and Features" -> "High Memory Support". Don't forget to compile Xen with
PAE, if you have issues with this put XEN_TARGET_X86_PAE=y in the make.

--
Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr.
Sócio-Diretor