[Xen-users] Problem upgrading a opensuse virtual machine when using LVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem upgrading a opensuse virtual machine when using LVM
From: "Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca" <luizluca@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:39:16 -0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:39:57 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=RmFIyDAfrXUHkrqKqOBOxhTYrK0LDEJ4wAo90xBuXpY=; b=KmyJEbWVlfQTXSDCeeZwEPifowVVPM/LblCyakvy+HT2iIoEU9A2R90pPuMmB32jq44Q4M9uJlFX1S55wN3bceJn3+DwneBhF7MOF/GMUMzyQwjR6w2iiykm7AyFovck2vzCPjGmjkoTxO0ZTqXK3p6McoCbjw1LV4TDtXimTds=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm using xen with opensuse 10.2/10.3 for a while. I use LVM to keep
virtual partitions,

disk = [
        'phy:/dev/system/campeche_root,xvda1,w',
        'phy:/dev/system/campeche_mail,xvda2,w',
        'phy:/dev/system/campeche_maillist,xvda3,w'
        ]

As Yast does not like the LVM+Xen stuff, I installed all the system
using a virtual disk in a file. After it is ready, I mount the virtual
disk partitions and copy its files to the LV. After reconfiguring the
virtual machine file, everything goes fine.

Now I need to upgrade this OS. I'm able to load the installer changing
the kernel/ramdisk params. But at this point, yast refuses to install
again as it can't read a "partition table" with virtual partitions.

I can solve this fusing the LV's partitions back into a virtual disk
and using this to upgrade the system. After installing, I would,
again, copy the files to LV partitions. This is too much work and it
doesn't look nice for me.

When using virtual partiions, xen doesn't create a xvda device, just
xvda1, xvda2... Couldn't Xen create a virtual "xvda" that presents a
readonly dos partition table and maps its access to xvda1, xvda2, ...
disks? I think that this can save some incompatible problems.

Please, any other solutions?

Thanks,

--
      Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca