Re: [Xen-users] Direct Hardware Support using Xen and Windows Guest?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Direct Hardware Support using Xen and Windows Guest?
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:35:06 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:35:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday 24 February 2008 06:50:07 pm T313C0mun1s7 wrote:

> So the holy grail here would be being able to run Windows XP Pro SP2 (or
> SP3) as a guest OS on Ubuntu, and still have direct hardware access thus
> allowing me to still have full use of my video card, DVD burner, and
> hardware dongles (tied to software licensing) without any issues.
> Performance is still an issue of course. I run a lot of software that can be
> resource intensive such as the Adobe CS3 Master Collection and the software
> involved there, and Video encoding software. I am also fairly active with
> VoIP and sometimes need to trascode audio codecs in real time with various
> Windows virtual PBX software (although I prefer Asterisk).

I'm afraid you're a little ahead of the curve. Running Windows means full
virtualization, which means performance loss. While the situation is getting
better with hard disk/block file drivers and net drivers (see PV drivers for
HVM from James Harper, Halsign, and proprietary approachs to PV drivers from
various distros), the console is what really still suffers.

While direct hardware access is possible with pciback (hiding the pci device
from the dom0 and passing it to a guest) in *theory*, in practice, read this
list (xen-users) for awhile. People are getting it to work for some cards,
and not others. Even if you can get a video card to pass through to your
guest, that means you need a 2nd video card for your dom0 (or at least it
makes setting things up a lot easier). And that's the situation for
paravirtual (PV) guests. Support for passthrough for HVM is brand new and
still being worked out in xen 3.2.x. Additionally (I believe) it requires
Vt-d support to remap dma requests. Your processor may support intel vmx/Amd
svm to get full virtuallization to work, but Vt-d is brand new. Even if you
do have that hardware, better get your hacking shoes on!