Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1, Fedora 8 and PCI passthrough

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1, Fedora 8 and PCI passthrough
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:53:30 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 07:54:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1, Fedora 8 and PCI passthrough
Date: Sunday 24 February 2008
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx

On Friday 22 February 2008 09:34:17 pm Todd Deshane wrote:
> The configuration in both python and SXP format is covered in the xen user
> manual [0].
>
> Fedora still does make a config file, I don't have a system on hand to
> check the location of it.
>
> According to this post [1] there are in /var/lib/xend/domains
>
> [0]
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTI
>ON03230000000000000000 [1]
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=179944

I've never found a flat config file on fedora, after using virt-manager.
Here's an example of a dumpxml file, and then the flat config file I created
from it. Just remove any references to the currently running vm, like the
domain id, pty, etc. from the xml file, and put the flat config file
in /etc/xen (otherwise you need to specify the complete path to 'xm'.

xml:

<domain type='xen'>
  <name>fc8</name>
  <uuid>10461fc0-adac-ef4b-e6d6-b27d95ac9b24</uuid>
  <bootloader>/usr/bin/pygrub</bootloader>
  <os>
    <type>linux</type>
  </os>
  <memory>524288</memory>
  <vcpu>1</vcpu>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='00:16:3e:1f:12:dd'/>
      <script path='vif-bridge'/>
    </interface>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='tap' type='aio'/>
      <source file='/var/lib/xen/images/fc8'/>
      <target dev='xvda'/>
    </disk>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' keymap='en-us' />
    <console protocol='vt100' />
  </devices>
</domain>

and flat config:

name='fc8'
memory=512
uuid='10461fc0-adac-ef4b-e6d6-b27d95ac9b24'
bootloader='/usr/bin/pygrub'
on_poweroff='destroy'
on_reboot='restart'
on_crash='restart'
vcpu=1
disk=[ 'tap:aio:/var/lib/xen/images/fc8,xvda,w' ]
vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:1f:12:dd' ]
vfb=[ 'type=vnc, keymap=en-us, vnclisten=0.0.0.0, vncunused=1' ]
vncconsole=1
stdvga=1
usbdevice='tablet'
extra = 'xencons=tty'

The stdvga parm will give you 640x480, besides the normal 800x600. The
usbdevice parm needs to be supplemented by the instructions in the xen docs
mentioned above, in the section 'A.4.3 Mouse issues, especially under VNC'. I
find the method that worked for me was the 'USB tablet over USB port.' one.
It tells you to go to another url for the general download and config
instructions, but to replace part of the xorg.conf in the domu with the
stanza given in the xen docs. I found that even after this change, I still
had to change the MaxX and MaxY parms to match the *current* resolution in
the domu, which means that every time you change the resolution, you have to
change MaxX/Y. Also, the 'Identifier      "Tablet"' statement has to be
changed to 'Identifier      "touchscreen"'. Good luck.