Re: [Xen-users] running windows on xen

Arpan Jindal wrote:
*for first windows machine configuration file /etc/xen/winxp as bellow:*
[...]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/hda3,ioemu:hda,w' ]

*with the help of above configuration i am able to run windows.*
*for if do *

mount /dev/hda3 /a
mount /dev/hda6 /a2
rsync -av /a  /a2

*then change the configuration file to /etc/xen/winxp2*
[...]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/hda6,ioemu:hda,w' ]

*then i do *
xm create /etc/xen/winxp2 -c

*i  am getting error as *

boot from hard disk 0 failed
FATAL: not a bootable disk

seems like rsync is not woking or i m doing something wrongly, is there any way make multiple coples of windows system. without each time installing it
I'm a little bit confused at to how you're even able to mount /dev/hda3 after you've used it as a virtual disk for Windows, which should have installed a partition table on it, not a raw, mountable partition. When I've done this sort of thing, I've needed to use kpartx.

At any rate, you will need a boot block, so copy the first 512 bytes from /dev/hda3 to /dev/hda6. (dd bs=512 count=1 if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda6)

If your hda3 and hda6 are exactly the same size (or hda6 is slightly bigger) you could just dd the entire partition.

   John