Re: UNS: Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] windows pv drivers releasedat w

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: UNS: Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] windows pv drivers releasedat www.halsign.com
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:44:55 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:45:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 16 February 2008 09:46:40 am Jim Burns wrote:
> On Saturday 16 February 2008 08:03:29 am James Harper wrote:
> > Do we know the license for these drivers? I haven't looked closely but I
> > don't remember GPL being mentioned anywhere.
>
> At least as far as the host portion goes, look at 'COPYING' unpacked from
> his gkhost-1.0-i386-for-rhel5.tar. I haven't looked at his guest portion
> yet, Gatekeeper-GTools-1.0.exe. I'd have to provision another guest, to be
> sure there is no interaction between his stuff & yours, find some space for
> it, etc. Then there's the whole '1.0' fear :-)

Well, I tried out the Halsign drivers. The Windows license is confusing. It
appears parts are GPL, parts are not. It's not clear which is which.

The structure of the drivers is very similar to yours. Scsi drivers, a new
network interface, and various system devices (a bus device and a 'comm'
device). For some reason, I have a second cdrom device in My Computer, even
tho' I only defined one in my config.

Both network interfaces are active the first time you boot into his '/pv'
version of the os, and you have to disable the slower 100MB one, leaving the
1Gb one active. Both Qemu and scsi devices seem to be active, but a system
msg in the event viewer from PartMgr reads 'Disk 0 will not be used because
it is a redundant path for disk 1.', so maybe he got around having both
active another way. No corruption so far, but it's early yet :-)

The 1Gb network interface is about twice as fast as the 100Mb one in my domu
to dom0 file copy, and no BSOD. An intra domu file copy was the same on both
booting w/ /pv and w/o. However, I had to find space on nfs for the test
system, so I was not really expecting a speedup there, and this would not be
a fair test of the scsi drivers.

The guest portion drivers installed w/o the host service having been installed
yet. I did install the host portion later, and I still don't see it's point.