[Xen-users] Some more differences between fc7 and fc8

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Some more differences between fc7 and fc8
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:54:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:54:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dom0: fedora fc8, 2.6.21-2952.fc8xen, xen 3.1.2, xen.gz 3.1.0-rc7, fully up to
date
domu: fedora fc8, 2.6.21-2950.fc8xen, no updates

I mostly do hvm, so I was a little surprised when I did my first pv install
since fc7 to find that virt-manager/virsh use qemu-dm to run pv guests by
passing the '-M xenpv' parameter. (Yes, James Harper, there are open source
PV drivers!)

I had a little difficulty converting from an 'xm list -l domid' & 'virsh
dumpxml domid' config to a flat xm config file. Where
 'vif=[ '00:16:3e:51:07:b8' ]' worked under fc7, you now
need 'vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:51:07:b8' ]'.

More importantly, was video support for vnc. What worked fine under virsh
after the install somehow didn't want to work for a flat xm config. Turns out
that the individual lines that worked well under fc7:

vnc=1
keymap='en-us'
vncunused=1
vncconsole=1

now have to have the vfb= syntax, such as:

vfb=[ 'type=vnc, keymap=en-us, vnclisten=0.0.0.0, vncunused=1' ]
vncconsole=1

and xm is still ignoring the vncconsole parm. Instead of a vnc window coming
up automatically, you have to start it manually. And the odd thing is, the
individual line syntax works fine for my hvm domain, and they are now both
using qemu-dm?

My remaining problem is I can't change the video resolution. Gnome's
system-config-display' says the 'Xen Virtual Frame Buffer' is stuck at
800x600 and millions of colors. There is no other choice for resolution, and
even picking thousands of colors, or picking the vesa driver results in X not
starting. (Yeah, I know, vesa probably needs a real video card.) But the
colors are ugly & garish, and highlighted sections of the screen are
impossible to read. Anybody found a way to get higher resolution and/or
better colors? Thanx.