Re: [Xen-users] pciback.hide works great for video, but not usb contolle

To: "Paul Waldo" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] pciback.hide works great for video, but not usb contollers
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:49:29 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:50:05 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=hYSjX1YPSTQCiol7FFUZ5ZNhnLg7i2AH9kdqlBVf8lU=; b=CztRIXshbwYoJCnKJa4zEr3HNCfMzJNAYzRjPb9bTg2RkXXS0OCKYYm5OAQsPZOX0aCndEz59WQmnpiuax9nekjQyoqPIX2UZ5LX9gJLU3I4jRCVswiolu9qbJfSfv4pHP6IW4FenzlO5dMWAuRVle+Irt9T6BBio6MXR3rhwtI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Feb 8, 2008 9:38 AM, Paul Waldo <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 February 2008 3:23:11 pm Todd Deshane wrote:
>
> That did the trick.  Thanks!!!!!

Cool. This is in the book, I didn't write the chapter, so I don't know
off hand where the information came from.

> > To some extend this now seems to be documented in the Xen user manual [1]
>
> I looked all over this page before, but couldn't find it.  Maybe it is
> implied, but it sure isn't explicit! :-)

I didn't find it in the manual online either. Maybe we should push on
a patch to the manual?

> > The pciback.permissive option may be being deprecated. I learned about
> > it because we are currently working on a book called Running Xen: A
> > Hands-on Guide to the Art of Virtualization that is now in safari
> > rough cuts.
> >
> > There are a lot of little things that are not well documented still so
> > we have been working hard to get it all in one spot and keep up to
> > date on changes. You may find some good resources at
> > http://runningxen.com
>
> I'm really looking forward to reading this, as some of the finer points are
> still a Black Art.  I looked at the Chapters section and it looks like it
> will be good reading.  Will you be discussing guest image install from CD
> media?  I have not been able to find anything on how to get a Redhat-based
> guest running on my Ubuntu host.  I know everyone says use rpmstrap, but
> rpmstrap seems to be hopelessly broken for AMD-64.  Good luck on the book!

We discuss installs from CD media with a focus on Windows for that
part. If that is insufficient for users needs maybe we could put any
supplementary information on the website.

There is a new project called rinse: From their website: "The rinse
tool was born out of a frustration with the currently available
solutions for installing minimal copies of RPM-based distributions."
http://xen-tools.org/software/rinse/

rinse has been integrated with the debian xen-tools to create fedora
and centOS guests (others are planned too).

Regards,
Todd