Re: [Xen-users] Has anyone gotten SCO Openserver working under Xen?

To: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Has anyone gotten SCO Openserver working under Xen?
From: Torbjorn Pettersson <tobbe@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:52:58 +0100
Cc: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:53:30 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> So far, I've only found references to success under VMware. But has
> anyone managed it, with either the open source or commercial versions of
> Xen? I like Xen and have worked with it extensively for RHEL and CentOS,
> but it could save me a whole lot of hardware money if I can decommission
> some OpenServer hardware and store working OS's under virtual images.

 Unfortunately I think you're somewhat at loss with anything but
Vmware. The main issue would be the scsi drivers, the rest is probably
working.

 I did some resarch for a similar project some time ago, but for Sco
Unix 3.2v4.2, and had no luck whatsoever.

 I checked out every virtualization software I could think of, including
 qemu, vmware, xen and even microsoft virtual server / virtual pc, but I
couldn't get any to work with the various scsi - drivers that were
available. I also found the patched drivers for Vmware / Sco Openserver,
but couldn't get those to compile under Sco 3.2v4.2, so I ended up
building new hardware for those boxen. Not the solution I was hoping for.

What you want to do is locate the patched drivers for VMware and try
those with other solutions, or stick with vmware.
Sco 3.2v4.2 didn't have support for IDE drives, but if that is in Sco
Openserver it might be a track worth investigating also.

The thing that I actually had some luck with, with was iBCS, or rather
the newer incarnation, linux-abi. Got most of my application working,
including serial port access, but I got stuck on running Oracle. (Don't
remember which version of Oracle it was, maybe 4? or 5?, found some
indications that a later version (like Oracle 5? or 6?), was supposed to
actually be working under iBCS/linux-abi. You might want to check this
out if your application isn't to close to the hardware?

Best regards
Torbjörn