Re: [Xen-users] vanilla kernel and xen (in general), vanilla 2.6.24 and

To: Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vanilla kernel and xen (in general), vanilla 2.6.24 and xen
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:26:28 +0000
Cc: Peter Braun <xenware@xxxxxxxxx>, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jan Marquardt <jm@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "zava.zava@xxxxxxxxx" <zava.zava@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:27:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >   I'm trying to boot 2.6.24 as a paravirt guest.  I'm using all
> > > the config selections you describe.  I've done all this, from the day
> > > "Xen" support landed up until 2.6.24 release.  I've never gotten it to
> > > boot, not once.  These days (2.6.24), I get it starting, but it can
> > > never mount /dev/root.  I tried the 0x20201/xvda1 trick, but that
> > > doesn't help either.  I've often wondered - which file should I be
> > > using from my build?  arch/x86/boot/bzImage?  ./vmlinux?
> >
> > Use the vmlinux.  By the way, if you strip it and maybe gzip it, it comes
> > down to a much less unwieldy size.
> >
> > That ought to at least be loadable by the domain builder, which is a
> > start. Then we could see where it crashes next :-)  Have you managed to
> > get it this far?  If so, what happened?
>
>       Haha, with 2.6.24 I don't even get any boot messages past pygrub
> now.  Someone else is telling me that to use a pv_ops guest I need some
> special xen tree?  Is that true?

You don't need a special Xen tree to get pvops guest support.  2.6.24 can run
as a domU using pvops, albeit slightly limited (no 64-bit guests, no
migration or save / restore, etc).  There is a special kernel tree that
contains dom0 pvops support, but you shouldn't need that just yet!  Lets get
domU working first, eh? ;-)

You need to pass the argument "console=hvc0" (e.g. in the extra= section of
the config file) or no boot output will come out.  Note that this is
different from the previous Xen convention of calling the console device xvc0
or tty1 or ttyS0, etc.

Cheers,
Mark