Re: [Xen-users] The real 0.6.5 release of Windows PV drivers

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] The real 0.6.5 release of Windows PV drivers
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 23:46:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:49:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

this was also my first thought after trying 0.6.5.
As I wasn't really sure which versions has been installed, I did
a fresh guest installation with 0.6.5:

 Hypervisor    : Xen 3.2.0 / 64bit (XenSource sources)
 DomO          : Xensource 2.6.18.8 / 64bit
 DomU settings : 1 VCPU, PAE, APIC
                 upto 1GB RAM, Shadow memory undefined
                 VBD Physical Block device (partition or lv)
                 VIF netfront
                 clocksource: Hostbased time
 Guest OS      : Windows XP Professional 64bit
                 latest available XenPV Driver (winnet/amd64)
                 as of there is no winxp/amd64 and winxp refuses to install

I installed guest from iso, switched one vif from netfront to ioemu to get the
winpv drivers downloaded, rebootet with netfront and installed as stated in
INSTALL.txt (this time, i followed the rules step by step ;)
May it was my fault, but i left the newly appeared NIC's unconfigured (say,
windows uses dhcp).
After the first reboot (without /gplpv), the qemu-dm became zombie, probably
caused by now not responding / stalled bridge (ps shows two "ip show ..."
commands - i think these are spawned by qemu-dm or some handler around)
I don't know if this could have to do with windows dhcp requests, well I don't
think so, but indeed there are very restrictive firewall rules and dhcp will
never go through.
By now the whole dom0 left unusable, former configured bridge routing is working
as well as the other domU's are up and running.
... one shouldn't test at production environment ;)

cheers,

Stephan

Age_M schrieb:
Hello James,

first of all I want to thank you for your great work!
I am using Gentoo Linux on a AMD X2 in 64bit with Xen 3.2 and I installed your 0.6.5 Version of the PV drivers in Windows XP Professional SP2. It looks like that there still is a problem with disabling the PCI IDE, because after the reboot, I find the lvm-partition 2 times in my windows system :-p
C: and D: are identical! one is IDE the other the SCSI device.
And I maybe have found the reason why. You mentioned that the 0.6.4 version of your driver had a bug with xen 3.2 and that you've fixed it in version 0.6.5. But your 0.6.5.zip package still contains the 0.6.4 drivers (that's what the inf-files tell me). Is it possible, that you accidently packaged the 0.6.4 drivers as 0.6.5.zip?

Greetz Age_M

James Harper wrote:
The last release was actually 0.6.4, and contained a bug which meant
that under Xen 3.2.0 the PCI IDE device wasn't detected and disabled
(the PCI ID presented by Qemu had changed). This could result in bad
things happening to your windows filesystem (it did for me just now when
I didn't get this fix quite right :).

This new release should fix that problem.

http://www.meadowcourt.org/WindowsXenPV-0.6.5.zip

James

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054