Re: [Xen-users] access guests via VNC from random machine

To: marcus <marcus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] access guests via VNC from random machine
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:52:38 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 07:23:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
marcus wrote:
Hi,

I tried to access the xen guests from a random machine over vnc, but it didn't work. The only way to connect to the guests over vnc is to connect first on the xen dom0 and then run the command vncviewer localhost:display. But I changed the line in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp from
#(vnc-listen '127.0.0.1')
(vnc-listen '0.0.0.0')
on the dom0. But I have still the same problem. Some ideas???

Did you restart xend on dom0? You might have to explicitly set "vnclisten=<ip of dom0>" in the guest configuration file in vfb = section for paravirtualized guests.

My second question is, are there any relations between the xm list -> guest id and the vnc display number ?

AFAIK, No. The default is to use the next unused port after 5900 for the guest when it starts up. You can specify vncdisplay=x so that port 5900 + x would be statically assigned to the guest. Make sure that when you set static ports like this, you configure it for all guests. Never leave some guests configured statically and some to use unused port. It may conflict.

--Sadique

Or how can i allocate the vnc display number to a xen guest?

Regards Marcus