Re: [Xen-users] Moving to Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, uxbod@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Moving to Xen
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 04:18:18 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:18:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CentOS5 has a build of Xen but it is a early 3.01 version.  Would I be
> better to install the latest 3.2 ?

CentOS 5.0 included a Xen based on the 3.0.3 release.  CentOS 5.1 (which you
get automatically by software updates from 5.0) includes a Xen based on the
3.1 release (the package name is still 3.0.3-something but that's lying -it's
3.1 really ;-).

3.1 isn't quite the latest release but it's a recent one and it's natively
supported by CentOS.  I think that's a reasonable one for you to try anyhow.

Are you planning on doing HVM domains or just PV domains or a combination of
both?

> If I try and install libvirt from the
> repo it also pulls in Xen and Xen-libs anyway.  Any help from somebody who
> has done this would be appreciated.

Yeah, it's difficult to separate the libvirt / virt-manager stuff from the Xen
stuff.  My advice would be to try out the default Xen of CentOS 5.1 and see
if it works OK for you - if it does, then stick with it for the moment.

There are (or will be) CentOS 5 RPMs of Xen 3.2 on the Citrix / XenSource
website but these will not be updated regularly with security and bug fixes,
whereas the real CentOS RPMs will be.  The CentOS RPMs will also be better
tested, so I still think they're better to start off with.

Cheers,
Mark