Re: [Xen-users] cdrom pv install

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] cdrom pv install
From: jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:52:21 -0900
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:53:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Monday 28 January 2008 04:40:00 pm jonr@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I thought when you installed from CD that the install would be a HVM and not a PV, is that incorrect?

Actually, the problem is not being able to boot off a cd/dvd, not that you
can't read it. Some distros provide a xen kernel image on the install disk,
and virt-manager/Yast, etc. extract that image to /tmp to boot off of, then
proceed with the normal install.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jim, but I don't think I was clear in my question.

I have a dom0 already and want to install fedora8, I make a config file for the new domU and in the config file I reference the .iso image of the fedora install dvd. I then 'xm create fedoraConfig' and it boots off of the .iso referenced in the config file. I go through the install and install all that I want.

I then change the config file from boot='d' to 'boot='c' and reboot the new domU.

After it comes up, is it a PV or HVM guest?

Jon