Re: [Xen-users] Problem setting up VNC on SLES10 HVM DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem setting up VNC on SLES10 HVM DomU
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:16:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:17:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No solutions, just some comments:

On Sunday 27 January 2008 05:11:57 am Evan Lavelle wrote:
> I've just uneventfully installed SLES10 as an HVM DomU (after finding
> out, the hard way, that OpenSUSE 10.3 won't install on Intel VT).

I would be very surprised if 10.3 didn't support Intel VT, altho' I've only
done SuSE PV installs. Where does it hang, during boot of the cd/iso?

> This almost went without a hitch, but I've been banging my head against
> a brick wall for a few hours trying to get VNC working. I can get a
> remote desktop, but a few seconds after I log in to the remote desktop,
> the screen goes blank (just after I get the "Suse linux enterprise 10"
> screen). Bizarrely, the SLES10 screen saver *does* appear on the remote
> desktop a few minutes later. Another odd thing is that the SDL window on
> my Dom0 has exactly the same behaviour: when I log in on the remote vnc
> client, I get some startup activity on the SDL window for a few seconds,
> and then it goes blank. The screensaver starts on the SDL window at the
> same time as on the vnc client. The only way I can talk to the DomU is
> on ssh.

Presumably you have done the Gnome System -> Preferences -> Look and Feel ->
Screensaver (gnome-screensaver-preferences), and -> System -> Power
Management (gnome-power-preferences) things, and make sure your timeouts are
suitably large, or disabled. Run the program in parenthesis in a 'ssh -X'
session from a remote client if your desktop is totally unresponsive. If you
move your mouse after the screensaver comes on, does your desktop come back
to life? If SDL, vnc, and xdmcp all bring up a screensaver, something must be
wrong with your timeouts.

> Any ideas? I'm pretty sure that the vnc setup is correct on the DomU.
> I've enabled it via 'remote administration' on YaST, xinetd is running,
> I can mod /etc/xinetd.d/vnc, etc (and I can log in anyway, so it must
> basically be working).

Xinetd implies your vnc server is on the domu, instead of the dom0. Have you
tried the vnc server built into qemu-dm? (vncviewer localhost:port#)

> Any thoughts? /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager currently contains (I've
> tried some variants):
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="yes"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE="yes"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="yes"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN="evan"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_AD_INTEGRATION="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="root"

You realize this refers to xdmcp, not vnc, right?

> Can't get an xdmcp chooser either. xdmcp is enabled in gdm.conf, port
> 177 is open, turned off apparmor just in case, hosts.allow and
> hosts.deny are empty, and after all that a remote chooser still can't
> see this DomU. The chooser has no problem with RedHat DomU's with nearly
> identical gdm.confs.

My experience with chooser boxes is that they may not see all available hosts
on a scan, but if you type in the hostname, you can connect. Make sure your
firewalls on domu and remote client are open, or off. I use 'sudo iptraf' to
see who is not responding during attempted communications.

Sorry I couldn't provide a definitive answer - just go over the basics again.
Good luck.