Re: [Xen-users] Domain interfaces

To: Alasdair P Mclean <mcleanap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Domain interfaces
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:25:59 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:57:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alasdair P Mclean wrote:

Dear all,

we're currently setting up several (many) domains which all need to communicate with Dom0, but not with the outside world. What we need is a way to specify that guest domains virtual interfaces (vifx.x) should not be bridged to the physical interface (eth0) - is this possible?.

RHEL-5.1, Centos 5.1 and Fedora would give you a solution for this out of the box through its virbr0 interface created by libvirt by default. All that you have to do is edit /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and specify (network-script /bin/true). That is it. I am not sure about other distros.

Also when specifying the mac address and ip in the config file (as per the manual) it doesnt seem to have any effect on ip and mac the domain actually uses (defaults are used instead). Is there some other way to specify this?

IP address shouldn't have any effect in domU, but mac address has always worked for me. An example entry from my config file is as below.

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:3b:f7:80, bridge=xenbr1' ]

--Sadique

Thanks in advance,
Alasdair