[Xen-users] Gentoo Xen Control Daemon not starting - problem & resolutio

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Gentoo Xen Control Daemon not starting - problem & resolution
From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <Joris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:46:53 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 06:47:44 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear,

Since power went down here a few hours ago (rare event in the
Netherlands), I noticed that the Xen Control Daemon (xend) did not start
using the init script provided with Gentoo 2007.0 and Xen 3.1.2 (from
portage). The issue seems that xend is hanging on the network script.

The network script was customed to make multiple calls to the
"network-bridge", but for different interfaces.
One of the calls was to create the bridge "xenbr2" for non-existing
interface "eth2". When doing this by hard it worked. However it did
cause xend to fail to start.

My network script is:
===
#!/bin/sh
dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=2
===

The interfaces eth0 and eth1 exist, while eth2 does not exist.

- Joris